Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is easy, doesn't make a big mess, and is probably the best fried chicken I have ever made. You would never guess it was gluten free! Measurements are estimated and the seasonings are optional. Just use enough for the amount of chicken you have.
- 8 chicken tenders
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup Frank's red hot sauce
- 1 cup gluten-free baking mix (I used Bob's Red Mill pancake mix)
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice flour
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt or 1 tablespoon preferred mixed herbs
- 1 inch peanut oil
- Mix together the milk, lemon juice, and hot wing sauce in a medium sized bowl. Add chicken and let marinate while preparing the flour mixture.
- Preheat about an inch of oil on medium high.
- Put the dry ingredients in a large zip lock bag and shake.
- Put 1 or 2 pieces of chicken at a time in bag and shake until well covered.
- When oil is hot, add 3 or 4 tenderloins at a time and cook until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels. Use an oven-safe plate to keep the first batch warm in the oven on about 170 degrees.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauces. I like the hot wing sauce and ranch.
- You could make a cream gravy using the leftover seasoned flour. For example, melt 3 tablespoons butter, add 3 tablespoons flour mixture and cook for a few minutes, add 1-1/2 to 2 cups milk and stir until bubbly.
This was great. My family couldn't stop eating it. So much flavor but not to hot because my 4 year old would have gripped about it and not ate any of it. She was asking for thirds. I used Cajun seasoning for the spice mix and I think it really added even more flavor. I cut up thawed frozen chicken breast pieces for the tenders because that is what I had on hand. I also put the tenders in the milk bath a few hours before and put it in the fridge to chill. We ate everything up so fast I didn't even have time to take a picture.
Instant success, rated by a discriminating 24 year old who loves fried chicken. Next time, will use boneless chicken thighs.