Betty's Derby Fried Chicken
- Ready In:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (3 lb) fryer, cut up
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- Combine first 6 ingredients in plastic bag.
- Shake it to mix and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine egg and milk; mix well.
- Skin chicken, if desired.
- Put 2 or 3 pieces of chicken in bag with flour.
- Shake well.
- Dip chicken in egg mixture, return to bag and shake again.
- Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Heat 1 inch of oil in a large skillet.
- Add chicken and fry 15 minutes or until golden brown, turning to brown both sides.
- Drain chicken on paper towels.
Join The Conversation
When I first made this recipe back in May of 2008, I used boneless skinless chicken breasts. But I made this again on 10/16/10 using bone-in chicken legs. The amount of seasonings were doubled,but the amount of flour remained at 1 cup.As soon as it was cool enough to eat,I did a "Quality Taste Test". If any of you are planning on making this recipe PLEASE use bone-in chicken. It's makes all the difference :).Thanks again for posting and, " Keep Smiling :)<br/>OP on May 18th 2008:I made this on 5/18/08 as part of mine and SO's dinner.Except for using boneless skinless chicken breasts, I followed the recipe exactly as written.Since there wasn't instructions on what temperature the chicken should be fried, I fried it on a medium to medium high heat.To me the crust had somewhat of a "doughy tasting texture", but my SO said that was the way his mother made hers. If I do make this again, I'm just going to dip it in buttermilk/egg mixture then flour it, and fry.Thanks for posting and "Keep Smiling :)"