Recipe by Linky
These make a hard, crunchy cooky that's good for dipping in coffee or tea. My mom would make a "sandwich" with a piece of Schwartzbrot, butter and a gingerbread cookie.
Top Review by DailyInspiration
Delicious gingerbread cookies - perfect combination of spices. I couldn't wait to dunk one of them into my afternoon coffee. I tried to find my gingerbread man cookie cutter to no avail, so I cut them out as stars. The recipe didn't specify a temperature so I cooked them at 350 degrees and for a little less time as my oven cooks a little hotter than normal. Made for the Football Pool tag game - Congrats on your win!
- 118.29 ml shortening
- 118.29 ml brown sugar, packed
- 118.29 ml molasses, unsulphered
- 1 egg
- 591.47 ml flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4.92 ml ginger
- 4.92 ml clove
- 7.39 ml cinnamon
- 1 nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (after chilling dough).
- Cream shortening, sugar and molasses.
- Add egg and beat.
- Sift flour with other dry ingredients.
- Gradually add these into wet ingredients.
- Chill dough for 1 1/2 hours (or more).
- Cut into shapes, place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.