Recipe by Zanna_409104061
From Mark Bittman. This is a flavorful, crunchy recipe. If you like curry, you'll love this chicken. The flour paste creates a crispy coating for the chicken.
Top Review by mianbao
This made a reasonably good dinner for us tonight. The coating on the chicken wasn't as delicate as I had hoped - perhaps the amount of water used has something to do with this. I used the amounts given in the recipe, but I did find the directions a bit scanty when I actually started to cook. There are no directions to cut up the chicken, either before or after cooking, and there is also nothing about applying the batter. I would have felt more comfortable with greater detail. Sorry to be so nit-picky. Please continue to share your recipes with us.
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
- Next, rub the chicken all over with the vinegar.
- In a small bowl, combine curry powder, salt and pepper (if you think you may need more than one tablespoon of curry, go ahead and add more).
- Rub the curry mixture all over the chicken.
- Place the flour in a medium-sized bowl and gradually add the warm water, stirring, until a paste the consistency of yogurt forms (could need to add more water).
- Heat a skillet on medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes and add vegetable oil until it is about 1/8 inch deep (this is a shallow frying recipe).
- When the oil is hot, dip the chicken into the flour batter, completely coating it.
- Add the chicken to the pan, frying on both sides for 4-5 minutes (per side) or until outside coating is golden and crispy.
- Add a bit of lime juice before serving.