Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from the "How to cook Everything" cookbook by Mark Bittman - It is wonderful and I recommend that you try the recipe as is without substituting anything however if you don't like curry substitute other mixed spices more to your personal taste. The chicken is crunchy outside, tasty and moist inside. I served it with rice, green beans & baby carrots. You'll make this one again
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, rinsed & patted dry
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar or 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup water (you may want to add a bit more as you go on)
- vegetable oil, for the pan (apprx enough oil to have 1/8-inch on the pan)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice or 2 tablespoons lemon juice or 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Rub the chicken all over with the vinegar.
- Combine salt, pepper& curry powder and rub this mixture into the chicken.
- Mix flour& water together to make a paste about the thickness of yogurt, coat the chicken pieces (dip the chicken into the batter).
- Heat the oil in a skillet and when it is hot add chicken pieces.
- Keep a good constant sizzle to the frying chicken but regulate the heat so it does not burn the chicken.
- After 2 minutes rotate the chicken (do not flip yet) so the pieces are getting even heat& crispness on all the edges.
- After another 2 minutes (4 minutes total) flip the chicken and continue cooking the other side.
- Sprinkle with a little juice or vinegar just before serving.