Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
We really liked this recipe from Canadian Living, because it can be made ahead. The big thing for us is having a vegetable that stays hot, so that we're not always running for the microwave to heat veggies during dinner. This one definitely serves the purpose.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter or 1⁄2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 sweet red pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 sweet green pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup monterey jack cheese or 3⁄4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄8 cup margarine, melted
- In a saucepan, melt butter or oil over medium heat, cook onion, garlic, red and green peppers and thyme, stirring until onion is softened, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour; cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Add milk; cook stirring till thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in cheese, salt and pepper.
- Mix in corn.
- Scrape all into a 4-cup casserole dish.
- Bake, covered at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in bowl toss together bread crumbs and butter.
- Uncover gratin and sprinkle with topping: Bake until golden and bubbly, about 20 minutes.
- MAKE AHEAD DIRECTIONS------.
- After you have put everything into the casserole dish, cool for 30 minutes, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- OR, Overwrap with heavy duty foil and freeze for up to 2 weeks.
- Thaw in the refrigerator.
- Increase the baking time by 5 to l0 minutes.
I made this along side a beef tenderloin au poivre, celery root mashed potatoes, haricot vert with shallots and red wine vinegar. My MIL and SIL could not stop raving about this, it stole the show!! I too liked it that it could be made ahead and it is different than the usual sides. My MIL says she will make it for next Thanksgiving and probably sooner.
Oh my Gosh!!! This recipe was wonderful. My family raved and raved about it! This was such an easy recipe and I WILL make it again. I followed your recipe exactly and it turned out great! Thumbs Up for sure. Thanks for a wonderful recipe it is a keeper!