Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Found this in the Woman's World Magazine. I thought the picture looked ghastly and would be absolutely perfect for Halloween. These could also be made for an every-day snack if you left off the green food coloring.
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 (16 ounce) package large marshmallows
- 1 lb candy coating (I use Candiquick brand)
- 10 cups Cocoa Puffs cereal
- green food coloring
- 1 (2/3 ounce) package red decorating gel
- Line a jellyroll pan with wax paper; coat with cooking spray.
- Put the Cocoa Puffs in a plastic bowl sprayed with non-stick spray.
- In a pot over low heat, melt the butter. Stir in the marshmallows. Cook, stirring constantly until melted. When almost completely melted, stir in green food coloring to desired color. (Remember, these are monster brains!).
- When completely melted, remove from heat and stir in the candy melts. Add more food coloring if it becomes too light. Stir until smooth. (You might pre-melt the candy coating a bit in the microwave if it's in big chunks.).
- Pour the mixture over the cereal until combined. With hands, shape mixture into 12 "brains". Let stand until completely cool, about 45 minutes. Pipe on the red gel for "blood".
The kids love it. I have to admit it taste great but looks creepy.