Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 mins
Modified slightly from the April 2006 Bon Appetit. I found that the original quantities of milk and dry ingredients were about twice as much as needed so I halved those amounts.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees in deep fat fryer.
- Combine onion rings and buttermilk in a large bowl.
- Mix dry ingredients in another large bowl.
- Remove 1/3 of onion rings from buttermilk.
- Add to flour mixture and toss to coat.
- Place coated onion rings in hot oil and fry for about 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer onion rings to paper towels to drain.
- Repeat with remaining 2 batches.
First of all, I'm pleased to be the first to rate a very good recipe.After I had put the onion rings in the buttermilk,I realized there was alot of milk and coating mix so I repeated steps 3 and 4 to give the rings an "extra crunch".I don't have a deep fryer so I used an electric skillet set at 375Âº and that burned the first batch,cut it down to 325Âº and it seemed to work just fine.These rings went so well with Smoked Cheddar & Bacon Stuffed Hamburgers.These will be made again,Thank for posting."Keep Smiling:)"