Modified slightly from the April 2006 Bon Appetit. I found that the original quantities of milk and dry ingredients were about twice as much as needed so I halved those amounts.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees in deep fat fryer.
- Combine onion rings and buttermilk in a large bowl.
- Mix dry ingredients in another large bowl.
- Remove 1/3 of onion rings from buttermilk.
- Add to flour mixture and toss to coat.
- Place coated onion rings in hot oil and fry for about 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer onion rings to paper towels to drain.
- Repeat with remaining 2 batches.