Recipe by Ben Ross
I love calamari. This is how to crumb them at home. Look for more calamari recipes coming soon. Serve with tartar sauce and enjoy the experience
Top Review by Peter J
These were great! I like my garlic so used a teaspoon of garlic powder which came out well. I didn't time how long I cooked but they came out a nice light brown color and the calamari remained beautifully tender.
- 4 pieces calamari, sliced into rings
- 2⁄3 cup stale breadcrumbs
- garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- oil (for deep frying)
- tartar sauce (for serving)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the salt, pepper and garlic powder and place into a plastic bag so you can shake the crumbs onto the calamari.
- Beat the egg and combine with the milk and place this into a small dish.
- Heat the oil up to 160C degrees.
- Dip the calamari rings individually into the egg/milk mix and then into the plastic bag and shake.
- The calamari should be well coated.
- Deep fry until a nice brown tinge. I tend to fry mine for about 4-5 minutes. It also depends on the calamari some it is better at a lower heat for longer. This rule especially applies to bought crumbed calamari.
- Serve with tartar sauce.