In Tuscany, they puree garlicky fresh fava beans and it is slathered over crispy rounds of crostini and served as an appetizer, Fordhook lima beans have a similar taste and texture! This simple appetizer is wonderful with a glass of sparkling wine like proseco or sauvignon blanc. ;) A scattering of paper thin radish slices provides a juicy crunch and brightens up the plate. You can substitute flat leaf parsley for the mint or a few tablespoons of chopped fresh rosemary. From: The Best of The Best Volume 11. Chef: Paula Disbrowe - From:The Editors of Food & Wine, 2008 :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb fordhook frozen lima beans
- 2 garlic cloves
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes or 2 -3 crumbled dried chile pequins
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino cheese
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint or 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley or 3 tablespoons rosemary
- 1 to 2 lemon, juice of
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ciabatta, thinly sliced and toasted
- 4 -6 radishes, very thinly sliced (Icicle, French breakfast or other variety)
- 1Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil; add the lima beans and cook until tender, about 7 minutes.
- 2Drain in a colander and shock the beans in cold water; drain again, shaking the colander to remove excess moisture.
- 3Place the garlic and 1/2 teaspoon salt in the bowl of a food processor, fitted with an electric blade and process until coarsely chopped.
- 4Add the lima beans and process until they form a rough paste.
- 5Add the red pepper flakes, pecorino, mint and 2 Tablespoons lemon juice and pulse until combined; with the motor running, add the olive oil in a steady stream until well incorporated.
- 6Taste for seasoning, adding more salt, or lemon juice and black pepper as desired.
- 7To serve slather a generous amount of puree on a slice of toasted bread and garnish with a few rounds of radish.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crostini With Lima Bean & Pecorino Puree
Serving Size: 1 (56 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 125.9
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 30.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 2.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: