Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 hrs
This originally called for 2 cans of black beans, but my kids aren't huge fans of black beans so I changed it for them. You can assemble this in advance and put it in the crock stoneware in the fridge overnight.
- 1 butternut squash, medium sized, peeled and cubed
- 2 carrots, medium sized, diced
- 1 onion, medium sized, finely chopped
- 2 (850.48 g) can tomatoes, diced with juice
- 538.64 g can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 538.64 g can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 127.57 g can green chilies, chopped, with liquid
- 236.59 ml vegetable stock
- 44.37 ml chili powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 59.14 ml fresh cilantro, chopped
- Combine all ingredients except cilantro in medium-sized crockpot.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours.
- Add cilantro; cook on high 15-20 minutes longer.
Really easy and good... like chili a little thicker so small addition of tomato paste does the trick- also a tad less chili powder for my taste. The squash makes it sooo delicious!
11/11/2009 EEKKK! I forgot to put stars on it. 11/09/2009: I made this again but used (I blush to say it) my typical way of seasoning a pot of chili. I used one chopped green pepper, I used 2 cans of plain diced tomatoes and just two Tablespoons of the Penzey's Medium hot chili powder. I also threw in some garlic and mexican oregano. When you first taste it, the sweetness of the squash is noticed and then the heat comes behind. It's pretty; it's tasty and it makes a bunch. I think my DH will still find it plenty spicy but this is very tasty chili. 11/02/2009: I'm not going to do stars just yet because I made this but I messed with it. Don't you hate people like me? This is very good chili and the first thing I've ever made with Butternut Squash. I used one can of regular diced tomatoes and 1 can of mild Ro-tel tomatoes and it is still a little spicy for my family's palate but that is my fault--not the recipes. I also only used about 1 2/3 T of chili because my chili is pretty spicy. This is satisfying to eat and very tasty. As the chili "aged" to the second day the butternut squash kind of breaks down but the contrast of the black beans and the squash was very pretty. Tasty. I will get back to you if I make it again.