Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
A hearty root vegetable soup, with sweet curry spices. Serve with a citrus salad and thick whole grain bread. Use vegetable stock for part of the water for a richer soup. I use a prepared garam masala that is not hot, just sweet.
- 3⁄4 cup yellow split peas
- 3⁄4 cup brown rice
- 5 cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced fine
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 lb yam, cut in 1-inch chunks
- 1 lb parsnip, cut in 1-inch chunks
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and cut in 1-inch chunks
- Turn the crockpot on high and add the hot water or stock, the salt, peas and rice.
- Heat a small skillet with the olive oil. Add the garam masala and onion and garlic. Saute until onions are limp and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add to crockpot and stir.
- Add yams, parsnips and apples.
- Cook on high for 1 hour, then turn to low and simmer for 4 to 6 hours.
- About 1/2 hour before serving, use a slotted spoon to remove the large vegetable chunks.
- Take the stock with the peas and rice, and run in batches through a food processor or blender to puree.
- Taste and adjust salt, and other spices.
- Add back in vegetables and cook for another 30 minutes to meld flavors.
This was absolutely DELICIOUS!!
* I used sweet potatoes instead of yams because that's what I had on hand,
* I used split green peas instead of yellow for the same reason,
- everything else was exactly according to the instructions, including all the measurements,
when I was frying the onion and added the garam masala (I had never found a use for it before this recipe) I was a little scared, it smelled good, but very strong, and I was afraid the whole recipe would turn out too strong, like some indian foods seem to me, but the end result was a PERFECT combination of sweet and savoury, very different from anything I had ever tasted.
the overall consistency was the only thing, that after following the directions to blend on 1/4 of the soup, I decided to leave as-is.
*** this is probably my most important note ***
after following all measurements exactly, I found the soup to be extremely thick, and preferred it even this way, to the recommended blending.
consistency is the only reason I gave it 4 stars and not 5, the flavour is a 10 !!!