Recipe by Queen of Everything
Put ingredients together and store in the freezer. Then, one hectic morning, just pull this out of the freezer, throw it into your trusty crock pot and dinner will be finished when you arrive home. Great for a new mother or someone recuperating from an illness.
Top Review by justcallmetoni
My ham bone from was in the icebox waiting for soup so I skipped the freezer part of this recipe and went directly to the crock pot directions. Followed the directions as presented and added a diced potato (since this is standard in my stove top recipe) and added two quarts of water. My initial result was a disappointment, thin and watery. Decided the flavors were really good and some evaporation would be a certain fix - so I removed the lid and let the soup simmer in the crock pot for 90 minutes. Certainly glad I tried as the results were just delicious and everything a good pea soup should be - thick, comforting and flavorful. Thanks!
- 1 ham bone, with meat
- 453.59 g dried split peas
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 2.46 ml ground pepper
- 236.59 ml chopped carrot
- 236.59 ml chopped celery
Directions See How It's Made
- Pick over peas and rinse well.
- In a gallon size freezer zipper bag, combine ham bone, split peas and chopped onions, carrots and celery.
- In a snack sized zipper bag sized bag, combine bay leaf, peeled bouillon cubes, garlic powder and pepper.
- Squeeze out as much air from both of the bags as possible.
- Include all ingredients in a 2 gallon size freezer bag and include the following directions:.
- Place contents of ham and peas bag and seasonings bag into crock pot.
- Cover with 1.5 - 2 quart of water.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours.
- Serve with croutons.