Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
For a truly vegetarian soup, substitute vegetable bouillon for the chicken soup base. This recipe almost overflowed my 4-quart crockpot, you might want to halve the ingredients. I cooked it on high for the entire 8 hours because it was so full, but if you halve it, cooking it on low for the same amount of time will work fine.
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried split peas
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried lentils
- 12 cups water
- 12 teaspoons chicken soup base
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- Dump it all in the crock pot.
- Cook on high for 8 hours or until beans are soft.
- If you like it creamy, puree some or all of it with an immersion (hand held stick) blender.
- If you don't have Italian seasoning, any combination of oregano, basil, sage, rosemary, thyme and marjoram will work.
- Serve with crispy French or Italian bread.