Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Looking for something to serve for Oktoberfest? NOTE: Plan ahead because this needs to marinate for 3 days. This is surprisingly easy to make. Assembling the marinade takes very little time and the actual cooking is done in a crock pot, leaving you free to enjoy your day however you wish. The important thing is not to skimp on the marinating time.
- Combine the first 8 ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Cool.
- Place beef in a glass 9 x 13" baking dish. Pour cooled marinade over beef. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in refrigerator for 3 days, turning twice daily.
- Remove meat and place in a 7-8 quart slow cooker. Strain marinade and pour over beef. Cook on low for 6-7 hours, or until beef starts to fall apart on the edges.
- Remove beef to a platter and slice 1/4" thick. Set aside.
- Strain liquid and return to crock pot, turn to high. Add the brown sugar and gingersnaps, stirring until dissolved. Mix the flour into the 1/4 cup water. Stir into the liquid and heat and stir for 5 minutes. Return the beef to the gravy. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes more or until the gravy is thickened. Serve with hot noodles or Spaetzle.
I just prepared this for an Octoberfest party a a cusine group . It was amazingly simple and quite good BUT I had to make a few adjustment to the gravy. The original receipe left the gravy quite sour. I changre the # of gingersnapsfrom 12 to 20 and the sugar to 1/3c vs. 1/4. The result was NOT SWEET but less sour with enough sweetness that the 17 women at the part asked for the recipe!
Excellent , Simple to make, old world flavors. Serve with noodles or Potatoe Dumplings and Braised Red Cabbage for an authentic German Dinner. Chazzzz
Very good interesting international dish with quite different tastes than the usual standard American cooking! The flavors were intense and delicious. Served with hot butter noodles. I gave it three stars since the children wouldn't eat it (didn't like the smell or taste) and the leftovers have been ignored, even for a nice sandwich! Definitely a four star grown-up meal, but a three star family meal.