Recipe by Roxi
Looking for something to serve for Oktoberfest? NOTE: Plan ahead because this needs to marinate for 3 days. This is surprisingly easy to make. Assembling the marinade takes very little time and the actual cooking is done in a crock pot, leaving you free to enjoy your day however you wish. The important thing is not to skimp on the marinating time.
Top Review by Joanncook
I just prepared this for an Octoberfest party a a cusine group . It was amazingly simple and quite good BUT I had to make a few adjustment to the gravy. The original receipe left the gravy quite sour. I changre the # of gingersnapsfrom 12 to 20 and the sugar to 1/3c vs. 1/4. The result was NOT SWEET but less sour with enough sweetness that the 17 women at the part asked for the recipe!
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 lemon, cut in 8 wedges
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppercorn
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 (4 -4 1/2 lb) lean top round roast
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 12 gingersnaps, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the first 8 ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Cool.
- Place beef in a glass 9 x 13" baking dish. Pour cooled marinade over beef. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in refrigerator for 3 days, turning twice daily.
- Remove meat and place in a 7-8 quart slow cooker. Strain marinade and pour over beef. Cook on low for 6-7 hours, or until beef starts to fall apart on the edges.
- Remove beef to a platter and slice 1/4" thick. Set aside.
- Strain liquid and return to crock pot, turn to high. Add the brown sugar and gingersnaps, stirring until dissolved. Mix the flour into the 1/4 cup water. Stir into the liquid and heat and stir for 5 minutes. Return the beef to the gravy. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes more or until the gravy is thickened. Serve with hot noodles or Spaetzle.