Looking for something to serve for Oktoberfest? NOTE: Plan ahead because this needs to marinate for 3 days. This is surprisingly easy to make. Assembling the marinade takes very little time and the actual cooking is done in a crock pot, leaving you free to enjoy your day however you wish. The important thing is not to skimp on the marinating time.
- Combine the first 8 ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Cool.
- Place beef in a glass 9 x 13" baking dish. Pour cooled marinade over beef. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in refrigerator for 3 days, turning twice daily.
- Remove meat and place in a 7-8 quart slow cooker. Strain marinade and pour over beef. Cook on low for 6-7 hours, or until beef starts to fall apart on the edges.
- Remove beef to a platter and slice 1/4" thick. Set aside.
- Strain liquid and return to crock pot, turn to high. Add the brown sugar and gingersnaps, stirring until dissolved. Mix the flour into the 1/4 cup water. Stir into the liquid and heat and stir for 5 minutes. Return the beef to the gravy. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes more or until the gravy is thickened. Serve with hot noodles or Spaetzle.