Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I'm a big fan of soups, and also wanted some succulent salmon for dinner. This soup nicely provided both, with great flavor and minimal preparation. This is my second recipe from the Pantry Challenge: I am making a dish from whatever I have at home already--those ingredients which are "just waiting around."
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup chopped red onions (I used a small French Pink onion) or 1 cup yellow onion, minced (I used a small French Pink onion)
- 1 frozen boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise (I use Vegenaise, which is non-dairy)
- 1 (1 1/3 ounce) packageknorr recipe classics leek soup mix
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 ounces skinned and de-boned salmon fillets, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup converted rice
- 1 cup o'brien frozen potatoes or 1 cup cubed fresh peeled potato
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Add the water, chopped onion, and frozen chicken thigh to the crock pot and turn on high; cook for 3 hours.
- Remove about 3/4 of the cooked onion and the chicken thigh from the liquid.
- Cut the cooked chicken into small cubes; set aside.
- Put the cooked onion you removed from the crock pot in the food processor along with the mayonnaise and whir until smooth.
- Add the pureed onion mixture, the chicken pieces, and remaining ingredients to the liquid in the crock pot and cook on high for an additional 2 hours or until rice is to desired texture.
How awesome. I accidentally threw away my favorite crockpot salmon chowder recipe - this more than compensates. My SO loves it too and our dogs hated to leave the kitchen it smelled so good.