Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 hrs
A rich, savory broth filled with tender chunks of beef and meaty mushrooms. This was a happy accident, the result of me putting the wrong meat into the crock pot with a bunch of beef stock, so I had to improvise a new recipe. Amounts should be adjusted to taste since I only measured the stock and the sugar. I actually cooked it for four hours on low and two hours on high at the end.
- 2 lbs pot roast (or similar stewing beef)
- 1 lb mushroom, halved
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (optional)
- Add ingredients to crock pot in order listed and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- (Note: If using a roast, you may trim the fat before cooking or wait until the end--so it can impart flavor--and strain it out. Toward the end of the cook time, it may be necessary to use two forks to shred the beef into bite size pieces.).