Recipe by :)Shirl(:
Was home sick and put this together. My husband that normally does not want to participate in rating a recipe said that this was 5 star resturant quality. Guess I couldn't ask for anything more. ENJOY!
Top Review by Ailsa of New Zealand
Made this last night for dinner. Hubby and I loved it so much. So much so that I saved some of the stock/gravy to put in the freezer, so I just have to add more chicken for a quick dinner. Thanks.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, sliced 1/4-inch
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced 1/4-inch
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (3 -4 lb) chicken, whole
- 1 small lemon, sliced thin
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups broth
- 1⁄2 cup apricot-pineapple preserves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon coriander
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Layer in crock pot in this order, onion, carrot, mushrooms, bay leaf and chicken.
- Put sliced lemon on top and inside of chicken.
- Mix together the stock, apricot/pineapple preserves, cumin, ginger, coriander, garlic and salt and pepper. Pour over chicken.
- Set Crock on high and cook for 4 hours, I basted every so often. Being sure that none of the preserves stayed on top of the chicken to get dried out.
- After 4 hours, remove chicken allow to cool, debone and deskin, chopping into chunks.
- While chicken is cooling mix cornstarch and water add to crock, this will not thicken alot but just enough to give it body.
- Add chicken back to crock, turn to low and simmer for another 20-30 minutes.
- Serve as soup or over rice.