Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I think this originally came from a cooking show, but I changed it to suit my taste, by adding more lemon juice & more garlic. Also the recipe just says chicken breasts, but I have also used skinless chicken pieces.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, lightly pounded (I have read in some crock pot recipes that people start with frozen meat to keep it tender. I haven')
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 10 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1⁄2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups water
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- (I use more pepper than salt, but that's my preference).
- Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Add the garlic and rice.
- Add the lemon juice to the water and stir.
- Pour this mixture over the rice and chicken.
- Stir once to coat.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and set on low for 8 hours.
When I made this recipe a few months ago, it didn't turn out good at all. I put it together in the morning and then left for work. My husband went home for lunch that day and called me to ask if the crockpot was supposed to be dry? Come to find out it was ready to eat right then? Four hours before I was ready. I checked all the settings and I had it on low. I still don't exactly know what the problem was. But, I would like to try it again. Only, I think I will do it on a weekend!
The rice turned to mush and the chicken tasted like glue.
I made a few adjustments to this recipe. Those were, I added more water(3 cups total), I used garlic powder instead of cloves and used instant instead of wild rice because those were the things I had on hand. I also cooked it for 30 minutes on high and 5 hours on low-which was perfect timing for my crockpot. The chicken was good, but it didn't have a real strong flavor, while the rice was very lemony! That may have been caused by the changes I made in ingredients, so, I will probably give this another try using exactly what the recipe calls for! Thanks for sharing, MrsSPheonix!