Recipe by Margie99
I love that for this recipe you make your own sauce instead of purchasing some.
Top Review by MsSally
This was great. Margie allowed me to use chopped cooked chicken as a sub for the ground beef, since I had that on hand. I made the sauce the night before, then put in the crockpot the next morning before work. I sprayed my nonstick crockpot and cooked for 6 1/2 hours on low then left on keep warm for 4 hours till I got home. Cooked perfect, came out clean. I love the ease of the homemade sauce and the taste is so much better than store bought. I may use the sauce part for oven made traditional enchiladas also. Can't wait to try this with ground beef. Thanks for posting.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 small onion, cut into pieces
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 lb ground beef, browned
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 9 corn tortillas
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare sauce, blend tomatoes and their liquid with onion and garlic in a blender or food processor. Pour into a medium sized sauce pan. Add the red pepper, salt and tomato paste. Heat to a boil, then simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Place 3 tortillas in the bottom of the crock pot. Layer 1/3 of the ground beef, 1/3 of the tomato sauce and 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat each layer two more times.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.