Prep 35 mins
Cook 9 hrs 16 mins
- 8 lasagna noodles
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, broken up with juice
- 1 (24 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup cream-style cottage cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Break lasagna noodles into bite size pieces and cook in boiling water until tender but firm (14 to 16 minutes). Drain.
- Scramble-fry ground beef in non-stick frying pan until browned.
- Drain well.
- Turn into a 3-1/2 quart crock pot. Add remaining 12 ingredients and stir well.
- Add lasagna noodles, stir.
- Cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours or on HIGH for 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours.
Certainly edible, with a good taste. However, is lasagna really meant to be cooked in the crockpot? The noodles were 'mushy' and you don't get that crunchy top layer that you get when you cook it in a pan in the oven. For the trouble, I'd skip the crockpot on this one.
Given how long it takes to make Lasagna the traditional way, I thought this was a good alternative. The noodles were not "mushy" as one rater suggested when it was cooked on high. (I have not tried to cook it on low, though.) I did add 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese to the recipe. Great recipe for working moms.
With a few modifications, this was delicious!! In the AZ heat, we think twice before turning our ovens on, and the crock pot is a great alternative. I, too, layered the ingredients instead of mixing them all together. I boiled the noodles until they were al dente,cooked it on high for 3 1/2 hours, and it turned out great!