Prep 30 mins
Cook 9 hrs
From the Busy Peoples Slow Cooker Cookbook by Dawn Hall
Make and share this Crock Pot Hearty Hobo Soup - Vegetarian recipe from Food.com.
- 3 lbs frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 (46 ounce) can vegetable juice
- 2 bay leaves
- garlic powder
- 1 (16 ounce) package coleslaw mix
- I use my largest 6 Quart Smart Pot for this recipe.
- I also use Low Sodium V-8 which comes in a 64 ounce bottle and adjust.
- Spray a Slow Cooker with cooking spray ( I sometimes use those new Crock pot liners) for easy cleanup.
- In the Slow Cooker mix together the Vegetables, Vegetable Juice, Bay Leaves, Cole slaw, Garlic Powder and Salt to taste (I substitute 1 Tbs ONLY of Ms. Dash Original Flavor for the garlic and salt and sometimes add chopped onions to taste).
- Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours.
Love that you can choose which frozen veggies used. My family of carnivores found the soup to be hearty and tasty. I left half of the leftovers in the fridge for their "grab and run" meals. Make sure you remove the bay leaf when it is finished cooking. I accidentally left a bay leaf in leftovers. Still good, but a bit strong the next day.
Although I was a bit disappointed in the result it was ok. My husband enjoyed it more than I did. To me it tasted very sweet, not sure why as I had a glass of the vegetable juice before making it and it didn't taste sweet. I cooked it on top of the stove and perhaps didn't give it enough time but after simmering for an additional 2 hours the next day I didn't notice any difference. I should have started with the part I really liked. It is incredibly easy and quick to prepare. On a tired morning it would be great to throw this in the crock pot. I did add some water the next day and I liked that better, chicken stock would be even better. I also added some fresh pressed garlic and pepper. Next time I will make those changes and only use half the amount of mixed veg. It is certainly worth trying again. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
I love a good soup on a cold day! I skipped the bay leaves and the salt and used pepper. I also chopped up an onion and used fresh garlic plus the garlic powder...lol. I cooked this overnight in my crock and had some for breakfast...I couldn't resist! Thanks so much for posting! :)