Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
- With sharp knife, slice about 1" off top of each.
- artichoke; cut off stem near base.
- With scissors, trim about 1/2" off top of each leaf.
- With sharp knife, halve each artichoke vertically; then scoop out and discard the fuzzy center of choke.
- Place artichoke halves in your crock pot; add hot water and lemon slices.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 4 to 5 hours or low for 8 to 10 hours or until done.
- Drain and serve with Lemon Butter Sauce, as below.
- LEMON BUTTER SAUCE----------------.
- Combine all ingredients.
This is a great way to cook the chokes. I would add that you need to sprinkle them good with lemon so they won't darken. Also water to cover. I add garlic to my sauce and use olive oil instead of butter. I adore artichokes! Including the stems which are delish when peeled.
Great way to cook artichokes but way too much lemon. It almost ruined the flavor for me. I would use half the amount of lemon when cooking the artichokes in the crockpot or none at all. Save the lemon for the lemon butter. Yum!
I give 5 stars for cooking method and 3 stars for taste. Overall a 4 star recipe. My husband and I both think that it was too lemony and next time I will cut way back on it. I didn't cut the artichokes, but only trimmed the leaves and cut off the base. They cooked just as fast and turned out well. Great idea!