Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 hrs
Found this recipe on a crock pot only website and have not tried it as yet. Looks like a easy recipe for this.
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 4 cups whole milk (divided)
- 1 2⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- Place vanilla bean, 3 cups of milk, sugar, water and baking soda in slow cooker.
- Whisk together.
- Cook for 9 hours on HIGH, uncovered.
- Remove vanilla bean and whisk milk mixture gently.
- Use a dull-edged knife to carefully scrape down the crust of sugar that accumulates on sides of the insert.
- Do not skim foam.
- Continue cooking for 1 more hour, stirring every 20 minutes until mixture is a rich medium-caramel color and has thickened to the consistency of melted ice cream.
- In the mean time, warm remaining cup of milk in small saucepan.
- Turn off slow cooker and stir in the warm milk.
- Remove the inset and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Scrape into bowl and let come to room temperature.
- Refrigerate it in tightly covered container for up to 3 months.
I thought this would be an easy way to try this for the first time. The flavor is good, it just turns out too runny. I think it would have been the right consistency without adding the 4th cup of milk. I did get a lot of really brown stuff in the seams of my crockpot, which I didn't scrape up as much. My crockpot tends to run hot, so that may have been a challenge. I used to dip apples.