Recipe by Olha
This is a very simple but delicious recipe for beef braised in Indian spices. Ground almonds are used to thicken the sauce, and yogurt may be added if you prefer a creamier result. Good served over fragrant basmati rice, accompanied by steamed green beans and warm naan, an Indian bread.
Top Review by Stardustannie
Delicious!! This was a winner at our family table...so tasty and so easy to prepare. I popped it in the crockpot before I left for work and came home to the most wonderful aroma. Served over Recipe #108305 with a dolop of yogurt..Mmmm!! Edited to add...leftovers the following day were even more flavourful.
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 907.18 g stewing beef, trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4.92 ml minced gingerroot
- 1-2 long red chili peppers or 1-2 green chili pepper
- 9.85 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml ground coriander
- 4.92 ml turmeric
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml cracked black peppercorns
- 4 green cardamom pods or 4 white cardamom pods
- 4 whole cloves
- 118.29 ml beef stock or 118.29 ml water
- 1 bay leaf
- 59.14 ml ground almonds
- 118.29 ml plain yogurt (optional)
- hot cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add beef, in batches, and brown.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened.
- Add garlic, gingerroot, chilli pepper, cumin, coriander, turmeric, salt, peppercorns, cardamom and cloves and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add beef stock and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Pour mixture over beef.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or on High for 4 to 5 hours, until beef is tender.
- Stir in almonds, cover and cook on High for 10 minutes.
- Stir in yogurt, if using, and serve over hot cooked rice.
- Delicious& Dependable Slow Cooker Recipes.