Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I found this on a site called "Everyday Paleo" and I've been drying to try it. It is rubbed and seared with a wonderful blend of spices, including coffee and cocoa and finished up in the crock pot. Make sure you really rub the spices in before you sear it so the flavor sticks!
COFFEE SPICE RUB
- 2 tablespoons coffee, grounds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper (Mrs. Dash makes a ground chipotle spice blend)
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs top round roast (the recipe calls for chuck roast, but I prefer top round)
- 1 red onion, halved and sliced
- 3⁄4 cup water
- Mix all spices for the coffee spice rub in a small bowl.
- Rub the spice mixture all over the beef roast taking care to really rub it in well!
- Heat 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil in a large skillet over Medium-High heat. Make sure the oil is hot or you will lose your spices.
- Using tongs, place the roast into the hot skillet and sear for 3-4 minutes on each side until a nice crust starts to form. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Place sliced onions in the bottom of a crock pot.
- Place seared roast in the slow cooker on top of the onions.
- Add the water, cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.