Top Review by Emily2
I made this recipe 8/2001 and it turned out great!However, next time I will be sure to use skinless chicken. The skin made it a bit greasy. I also used tomato sauce instead of paste, and added a can of diced tomatoes. I did not add the celery seeds, but I chopped up some green peppers and added them to the pot.
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 lbs chicken, cut up
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste (I prefer it with the same amount of tomato sauce instead)
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 -2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed (I omit this)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Place onions in bottom of crock pot. Add chicken pieces.
- Stir together remaining ingredients.
- Pour over chicken.
- Cook on low 7 to 9 hours; high 3 to 4 hours.
- Serve over angel hair pasta.
- RJ's Note: I made this recipe on 9th of May 1998. I substituted the tomato paste with a large can of tomatoes that I put through the blender. The aroma of the chicken simmering in the crock pot sauce all day was fantastic. During the last ten minutes I added some frozen mixed Chinese vegetables and served the cacciatore over home made pasta noodles (my first attempt at making pasta). I only used one teaspoon of oregano. Next time I'll try two.