Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
- Place onions in bottom of crock pot. Add chicken pieces.
- Stir together remaining ingredients.
- Pour over chicken.
- Cook on low 7 to 9 hours; high 3 to 4 hours.
- Serve over angel hair pasta.
- RJ's Note: I made this recipe on 9th of May 1998. I substituted the tomato paste with a large can of tomatoes that I put through the blender. The aroma of the chicken simmering in the crock pot sauce all day was fantastic. During the last ten minutes I added some frozen mixed Chinese vegetables and served the cacciatore over home made pasta noodles (my first attempt at making pasta). I only used one teaspoon of oregano. Next time I'll try two.
I made this recipe 8/2001 and it turned out great!However, next time I will be sure to use skinless chicken. The skin made it a bit greasy. I also used tomato sauce instead of paste, and added a can of diced tomatoes. I did not add the celery seeds, but I chopped up some green peppers and added them to the pot.
The added ingredients in this recipe made it more appealing than the others I considered. Used legs only and found that it was not necessary to skin the chicken if it was browned well. Also, the cook time is a bit long. Five hours is long enough. Very tender. White meat would dry out, so stick with dark. Add garlic bread, a salad, and a good bottle of red...great dinner for a week night!
We used 4 frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 3 cans of tomato sauce, and a tad extra oregano and served this over whole wheat thin spaghetti. It was fabulous. Also, taking the advice of other reviews, I added 2 green bell peppers cut into strips, which added greatly to the flavor and made the dish go further. I will make this again!