Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is a hearty stew of white beans, chicken and sausage. This recipe was developed for a 3 quart crock pot. If you use a larger one, you will need to double the ingredients. Serve with cornbread, green onion fans and a side salad.
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable juice or 1⁄2 cup tomato juice
- 2 medium carrots, scrubbed, sliced into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 2 celery ribs, cut into fourths
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon basil, crushed
- 1 teaspoon oregano, crushed
- 2 -3 frozen boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 8 ounces smoked turkey or 8 ounces chicken sausage
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine the beans, tomato juice, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaves, and spices.
- Cut the sausages in half lengthwise and slice, stir into beans.
- Place the frozen chicken thighs on top of the bean mixture.
- Cover; cook on low-heat for 8 to 10 hours.
- Remove bay leaves, stir, adjust seasonings as desired and serve.
Delicious! I used frozen chicken thighs, kie?basa, great northern beans, and the rest as written. The flavors blend beautifully.
This was great! made as directed using smoked turkey and probablly two frozen thighs. I used white kidney beans (which was in the sale bin!) and and small can of V-8 (didn't measure). I shredded the chicken before serving. Delish stew/soup which I think the leftovers will also be great for lunches. Thanks for sharing!
We really loved this and I will make it again this winter. Keeping the carrot and celery chunks in big pieces prevents them from becoming mush. Same for keeping the chicken meat on top instead of down in the mixture. I used 8 very small boneless skinless thighs and LF smoked pork sausages. Thanks for sharing this with us all, Paula. I am keeping this one!