Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is a hearty stew of white beans, chicken and sausage. This recipe was developed for a 3 quart crock pot. If you use a larger one, you will need to double the ingredients. Serve with cornbread, green onion fans and a side salad.
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable juice or 1⁄2 cup tomato juice
- 2 medium carrots, scrubbed, sliced into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 2 celery ribs, cut into fourths
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon basil, crushed
- 1 teaspoon oregano, crushed
- 2 -3 frozen boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 8 ounces smoked turkey or 8 ounces chicken sausage
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine the beans, tomato juice, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaves, and spices.
- Cut the sausages in half lengthwise and slice, stir into beans.
- Place the frozen chicken thighs on top of the bean mixture.
- Cover; cook on low-heat for 8 to 10 hours.
- Remove bay leaves, stir, adjust seasonings as desired and serve.
Delicious! I used frozen chicken thighs, kie?basa, great northern beans, and the rest as written. The flavors blend beautifully.
This was just ok for us... I used boneless chicken breast instead of thighs, maybe that's where the lack of flavor came from. There was much less liquid than I expected, and it was thin -- I was hoping for more of a stew, this was more like chunks of meat with a little bit of thin sauce. I think it would have been improved by a can of stock mixed with some cornstarch at the end to thicken it up.
When my boys got home this afternoon both wanted to know what smelled so good. It was this! Make sure you do use the correct size crockpot as I have a large one and it almost burned the sausages. I also added some more tomato juice just at the end to bring everything together and make it moister (definitely MY fault).