Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs 30 mins
From Mama Sita on the welltellme site! YUM!!! If you don't eat pork, feel free to substitute chicken or a chuck roast.
- 1 lb dry pinto beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 3 lbs lean pork roast
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 4 cups water
- Soak beans overnight and drain.
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 5 hours, or on low for 10 hours, or until meat falls apart and beans are done. Every slow cooker is different! You may need to add more water.
- If you have a bone from the roast, remove it, and "mash" beans, if you like.
- Uncover and cook for about a 30 minutes until desired thickness is reached.
- Serve with tortillas or tortilla chips with lots of toppings!
- IF you end up with too many leftovers, these can be made into burritos and frozen. Just add some cheese and salsa!
I didn't quite get the water ratio right with my crock pot & mine came out a little soupy....so I agree that the crock pot needs to be taken into account.... Apart from that I cut back to 1 tbsp of chilli powder because of younger family members.....this tastes even better the next day on sandwiches. Thank you for sharing
This was excellent! I forgot it in my crock pot until about 14 hours later, and the meat was done to perfection. I didn't use dried beans, but I drained some canned beans and threw them in at the end. I'm sure it would have been even better had I used them. Made and reviewed for PAC Fall 2008. Thanks :)