Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I love stuffing and have always been disappointed that there is just never enough of it. This makes a large quantity and tastes delicious. Handy too because you can serve it right from the crock pot insert. You could also add mushrooms or apples to this recipe.
- 1 loaf bread
- poultry seasoning
- garlic powder
- 1 medium onion
- 2 celery ribs, including leafy part
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 lb bulk sausage
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- In large bowl put 1 loaf bread broken up and dried overnight. Season crumbs with salt, pepper, poultry seasoning & garlic powder.
- In pan, saute 1 chopped onion, chopped celery and the chopped parsley in the butter.
- In another pan brown & break up the bulk sausage.
- Pour the sauteed vegetables and sausage over the bread crumbs. Moisten with the chicken broth.
- Place in slow cooker on low for about 3 hours. (Time may vary depending on your crock pot.) I recommend giving it a stir and checking to see if it is getting too dry around the edges from time to time. You can always add a little more broth to suit your taste.
Amazing stuffing! I love the combination of flavors and the fact that it is made in the crock pot - keeps the oven free for other sides and it's so easy. It seemed a little dry, so I might add more broth next time. I also found that it helped to stir the stuffing half-way through.
Made for Spring PAC 2008 ~ We loved this excellent stuffing! I made it exactly as written using half white & whole wheat breads. Judgment & pers pref are factors w/this. All ingredients are pre-cooked, so crockpot cook time may vary based on how hot the pot cooks & the denseness + dryness of the bread used. I ckd at 3 hrs, found it starting to get dry & added 1/2 cup more broth. I shut off the crockpot at 4.5 hrs & left the stuffing to sit in it till dinner was ready. It was still a bit drier than we prefer, so I assume my cp cooks hot & I will need to use extra broth. Great recipe! Thx for sharing it w/us. :-) ~ *Edited to Add* on 11/30/08 ~ A big hit at our annual Post-Thanksgiving dinner party last nite. The recipe was requested & shared. We love this stuffing! :-)
Unbelievably great! We had an early Thanksgiving yesterday and I made this for our stuffing. I substituted Old Bay seasoning because I didn't have any poultry seasoning, stirred once or twice, and did have to add some extra broth about half way through but everyone LOVED it!!! This will now be part of our tradition and on our plates every year.