Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I love stuffing and have always been disappointed that there is just never enough of it. This makes a large quantity and tastes delicious. Handy too because you can serve it right from the crock pot insert. You could also add mushrooms or apples to this recipe.
- 1 loaf bread
- poultry seasoning
- garlic powder
- 1 medium onion
- 2 celery ribs, including leafy part
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 lb bulk sausage
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- In large bowl put 1 loaf bread broken up and dried overnight. Season crumbs with salt, pepper, poultry seasoning & garlic powder.
- In pan, saute 1 chopped onion, chopped celery and the chopped parsley in the butter.
- In another pan brown & break up the bulk sausage.
- Pour the sauteed vegetables and sausage over the bread crumbs. Moisten with the chicken broth.
- Place in slow cooker on low for about 3 hours. (Time may vary depending on your crock pot.) I recommend giving it a stir and checking to see if it is getting too dry around the edges from time to time. You can always add a little more broth to suit your taste.
Made this for thanksgiving since we smoked a turkey. It was great. I used turkey sausage. Even my dad liked it. And he does not like anything. Will definitely make again when we smoke our turkey.
Amazing stuffing! I love the combination of flavors and the fact that it is made in the crock pot - keeps the oven free for other sides and it's so easy. It seemed a little dry, so I might add more broth next time. I also found that it helped to stir the stuffing half-way through.
Made for Spring PAC 2008 ~ We loved this excellent stuffing! I made it exactly as written using half white & whole wheat breads. Judgment & pers pref are factors w/this. All ingredients are pre-cooked, so crockpot cook time may vary based on how hot the pot cooks & the denseness + dryness of the bread used. I ckd at 3 hrs, found it starting to get dry & added 1/2 cup more broth. I shut off the crockpot at 4.5 hrs & left the stuffing to sit in it till dinner was ready. It was still a bit drier than we prefer, so I assume my cp cooks hot & I will need to use extra broth. Great recipe! Thx for sharing it w/us. :-) ~ *Edited to Add* on 11/30/08 ~ A big hit at our annual Post-Thanksgiving dinner party last nite. The recipe was requested & shared. We love this stuffing! :-)