Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I love stuffing and have always been disappointed that there is just never enough of it. This makes a large quantity and tastes delicious. Handy too because you can serve it right from the crock pot insert. You could also add mushrooms or apples to this recipe.
- In large bowl put 1 loaf bread broken up and dried overnight. Season crumbs with salt, pepper, poultry seasoning & garlic powder.
- In pan, saute 1 chopped onion, chopped celery and the chopped parsley in the butter.
- In another pan brown & break up the bulk sausage.
- Pour the sauteed vegetables and sausage over the bread crumbs. Moisten with the chicken broth.
- Place in slow cooker on low for about 3 hours. (Time may vary depending on your crock pot.) I recommend giving it a stir and checking to see if it is getting too dry around the edges from time to time. You can always add a little more broth to suit your taste.
Amazing stuffing! I love the combination of flavors and the fact that it is made in the crock pot - keeps the oven free for other sides and it's so easy. It seemed a little dry, so I might add more broth next time. I also found that it helped to stir the stuffing half-way through.
Unbelievably great! We had an early Thanksgiving yesterday and I made this for our stuffing. I substituted Old Bay seasoning because I didn't have any poultry seasoning, stirred once or twice, and did have to add some extra broth about half way through but everyone LOVED it!!! This will now be part of our tradition and on our plates every year.
Tagged in Best of 2008 Tag. This didn't work for us, probably my crockpot is too hot (it was burning after 3 1/2 hrs) and I used homemade w.w. bread crumbs and tried to use brats out of their skin. But the brats I bought were more like kielbasa, so I had to slice. I wouldn't have reviewed bcz it was probably all me, except for the tag.