Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a typical stuffed steak from Croatian Northern area (Podravina). As many Croatian recipes it is also rich with tastes, ingredients, and we don’t care much for cholesterol. With a glass of red wine, this meal will satisfy all your friends, and of course your mother in law.
- For the filling: slice the onion very finely, liver not so finely, bacon on small cubes, and mushrooms on “leaves”.
- Sauté it following this order: First onion, than mushrooms, and liver and bacon together as last (put the new ingredient when the last is soft, and so on).
- Sauté it until all liquid evaporates.
- Season it with salt and pepper.
- When it cools add one yolk, parsley leaves (minced) and nutmeg powder.
- Spread the filling over each steak, fold them in half and close it with toothpicks (3-4 per each steak).
- Cover the steaks with flour and fry them on both sides until they become brownish.
- Pour 2 cups of wine over steaks and cook until alcohol evaporates.
- Add beef stock to cover the steaks completely.
- Add tomato jam and cook for 20-30 minute or meat become soft.
- Five minutes before end, add mustard. Try it, and season it if necessary.
- Serve with rice or potato.