Recipe by MauiMaidTeri
Chef Ivan Flowers created this recipe for Maui Maid. The remoulade sauce would also be great with grilled or pan fried fish instead of tartar sauce.
- 1 dozen oyster
- 1⁄2 cup tempura flour
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup sweet gherkins or 1⁄4 cup pickle juice
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 tablespoons spiced maui maid teriyaki sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cups canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Shuck the oysters & reserve the juice (liquor).
- In a sauce pan over medium heat place olive oil and smashed garlic.
- Cook garlic till browned then remove
- Add orange juice along with pickle juice and reduce by 2/3 or till slightly syrupy
- Let cool at room temp for ½ hour.
- Whisk reduction into mayonnaise with oyster liquor blending well till smooth and creamy.
- Heat canola oil to 350 degrees.
- Dust oysters with tempura flour and fry till golden brown (2 minutes).
- Serve crispy oysters with dipping sauce.