Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe courtesy of Gale Gand. It is a recipe for the most delicious Crispy Oatmeal Cookies. These thin crispy cookies just melt in your mouth. This recipe is well worth having in your recipe file.
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In mixer cream butter until fluffy.
- Add the sugars and cream together until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix well.
- In another bowl, stir together the oats, flour, salt and baking soda.
- With mixer on low begin adding the oat mixture to the butter mixture.
- Mix only to combine.
- Add raisins and again mix only to combine.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto the baking sheets leaving at least 2 inches between cookies.
- MY HINT; PRESS EACH COOKIE DOWN SLIGHTLY WITH YOUR FINGERS BEFORE BAKING.
- Bake until browned and crispy around the edges about 8-10 minutes.
- Let cool on wire racks and store in airtight container.
These were great except for the salty taste from too much baking soda. They were crisp and very thin, but my family rejected them because of the obvious baking soda taste. I'd make them again but cut the baking soda WAY down.
I split this down to 1/3 of the regular recipe. I also had an issue with my cookie sheet, I was attempting to do bars vs. cookies. The sheet warped half way through... NO FAULT OF THE RECIPE! Anyway I salvaged what I could and crumbled it on top of Vanilla Pudding (reduced fat) #103024