1/5 Photos of Crispy Homemade Hash Browns
We LOVE this! It's a great recipe for hash browns that are crispy on both sides. You can peel the potatoes if you wish, I always leave the skin on. Sometimes I add some shredded sharp cheddar cheese and/or some minced garlic. A good non-stick pan works the best, I first coat the pan with cooking spray, then sometimes use the bacon grease or cooking oil instead of the butter. This is adapted from the Food Network.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs russet potatoes
- 1/2 vidalia onion
- 5 slices thick bacon or 5 slices Canadian bacon, finely chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced (optional)
- 1/3 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped chives (to garnish, optional) (optional) or 3 tablespoons green onions (to garnish) (optional)
- 1Microwave the potatoes for 4 to 5 minutes, let cool until you can handle them.
- 2Grate the potatoes and onion in a food processor using the grater attachment, or grate by hand.
- 3Cook the bacon, but not too crisp, as it will cook with the potatoes.
- 4In a medium bowl, add the grated potato mixture, the onions, and the bacon. Add cheese now and/or garlic now, if you are using it. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and mix thoroughly together.
- 5Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until it just starts to foam.
- 6Add the potato mixture and using a spatula or wooden spoon, press the potatoes firmly into the bottom of the pan.
- 7Increase heat to medium-high and let the potatoes brown and crisp for 6 to 8 minutes.
- 8Cut the potatoes into wedges, remove from pan, add remaining butter/oil and slide wedges into pan. Some folks turn the entire "pancake" onto a plate, then slide it back in, but that never seems to work for me. LOL.
- 9Continue to cook over medium heat until remaining side is dark golden brown and crisp, 5 to 6 minutes longer.
- 10Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with chopped onions or chives if using.
- 11Sometimes I have sour cream or ketchup in ramekins for those who would like to add that after plating.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crispy Homemade Hash Browns
Serving Size: 1 (180 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 277.0
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 22.0 mg
- Sodium 148.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 5.9 g