Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
Quick and easy.
- 1 1⁄2 cups self rising flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- vegetable oil (for frying, 2 cups or so)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut crosswise into 1-inch strips
- In a medium bowl, mix dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl beat egg and buttermilk.
- Coat chicken with flour mixture, dip into egg mixture and coat AGAIN with the flour mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook uncovered for 5 minutes. Turn chicken; and cook 3 minutes longer or until no longer pink in the center and golden brown.
If you leave the coating on the chicken for at least 20 minutes before cooking, it will stay on the meat! Also it will be more crispy if you add 1/3 cup Cornstarch to the flour Mixture. Give it a try!
I noticed my dad's aged and decrepit body squirmed with unbridled delight at chomping down with his plastic and few remaining natural teeth upon some of these wondrous crispy chicken fingers.
I use a similar recipe and it is awesome! The only difference is I used Peanut Oil instead of Vegetable Oil. Buttermilk is definitely a key ingredient to crispy & moist chicken.