Prep 45 mins
Cook 53 mins
Squab or young pigeon has a very delicate and unique taste. Squab meat is dark, moist, and flavorful.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 dressed squab (3/4 to 1 lb. each)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup fresh lima beans or 1 cup frozen lima beans
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large skillet, add the butter and oil; head over medium heat until the butter melts.
- Brown the squab on all sides; transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion, celery, and carrots to the skillet; stir/saute for about 7 minutes or until softened.
- Sprinkle the flour over the top of the vegetables; stir for 1 minute longer.
- Increase the heat to high and gradually add the broth and wine, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Add in the mushrooms, limas, cayenne, salt, and pepper to taste; stir to combine then remove from heat.
- Place the squabs breast side down in a greased 3-quart casserole dish.
- Pour the vegetable sauce over the top.
- Cover and bake in a 350° oven for 45 minutes or until the squabs are tender.