Recipe by celestial_star03
This is a hearty beef soup with lots of veggies, low salt and not a lot of fat. It goes great with cooked rice.
Top Review by Marzy
Very good. I had to make some changes though. Had only a smaller can of diced tomatoes, so added a small can of V-8 juice. Had no cabbage, so added 6 potatoes instead (cut up). No bell pepper, nor lemon juice, nor peas. Added oregano, basil, thyme, & parsley, bay leaf. I cooked it on the stovetop, and we all loved it!
- 3 lbs beef shank, cross cuts 1 inch thick
- 4 cups water
- 1 (28 ounce) cancrushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine everything except the cabbage, bell pepper, and lemon juice in a crock pot or dutch oven.
- Cover tightly and simmer for 2 hours stirring occasionally.
- Remove shanks, cut the beef from the bone and chop into small pieces.
- Return the beef to the stew, add in cabbage, and bell pepper.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes or until beef and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the lemon juice and serve.