Prep 15 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
Good any time.
Make and share this Creole Black-Eyed Peas recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb dried black-eyed peas
- 2 quarts water
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 lb smoked ham hock
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- Wash peas and soak overnight in cold water.
- Drain peas.
- Place all ingredients in large pot, add 2 quarts water.
- Cook at least 2 hours or until peas are tender.
- Additional water may be needed.
I have finally found a black eyed pea recipe worth keeping. Great flavor! I had to use 1/2lb. bacon in place of ham hocks. In the deep South ham hocks don't last in the store.
I have made this 5 maybe six times..totally awesome!! I add a little more zip, tabasco and red pepper. Ham shanks have more meat(fyi).
I really enjoyed this simple and delicious dish! I didn't have any ham so I added a little bacon fat and wanted to make this more of a meal, so I added about 1/2 cup cooked brown rice towards the end. Thanks for posting!