Recipe by Huskergirl
I found this on a Web site and it made my mouth water. I am posting for ZWT4. I have not made this yet but will in the next few days.
- 8 eggs
- 1 quart milk
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla (or banana extract if available)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat eggs, milk until mixture is frothy.
- Add melted butter and extract.
- Melt 1/2 cup SUGAR and burn to caramel stage.
- Rotate the pan to spread caramel all around the sides.
- Beat the egg mixture again.
- Pour it quickly into the cake pan.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil which has been well buttered on the under side.
- Place the pan in a larger pan half filled with water (as you would do a custard).
- Bake at 350' for 30 minutes.
- Remove cover and test with a silver knife (when it comes out clean, custard is done).
- Chill until thoroughly cold.
- Turn the CARAMELA out onto a 10 to 12-inch platter.
- Garnish with MARASCHINO or CANDIED CHERRIES on top and sides.