Recipe by KPD
This is a recipe to WOW them all! Make ahead and marinate in the fridge overnight. Pull it out in the morning and bake! A very rich and unique dish! Caramelizes on the bottom, so no need to top with syrup! It's that easy. Time doesn't include fridge time. Enjoy!
Top Review by max2062
This was really good, much better than I would have ever guessed that a make a head recipe for french toast could be and it even warmed up well in the microwave amazingly. I sprayed the pan with canola oil spray and followed the recipe. I think next time I might either lightly butter the tops of the bread or perhaps use a different flavor bread like raisin or cranberry walnut. I plan on making this for Christmas morning rather than my usual cinnamon rolls because this will be much easier.
- 1 loaf French bread, diagonally sliced
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons light Karo syrup
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Grand Marnier
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter, brown sugar and Karo over medium heat in a small saucepan. Stir until smooth.
- Pour mixture in a 13x9 casserole dish. Place bread on top, squeezing it in if you need.
- Whisk eggs, half and half, vanilla, Grand Marnier and salt in a large bowl until combined. Pour mix evenly over bread.
- Chill in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning: LET CASSEROLE COME TO ROOM TEMPERATURE! Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake uncovered 35-45 minutes. Edges will be puffed and golden.