Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise or 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons Amaretto or 2 teaspoons orange liqueur or 2 teaspoons coffee liqueur (or other desired liqeuer)
- In a heavy saucepan bring cream and if using, the vanilla bean just to boiling, stirring frequently. Remove saucepan from heat.
- In a mixing bowl combine a small amount of the hot cream, egg yolk(s) and sugar.
- Beat with an electric mixer on high speed for 2-3 minutes or till thick and lemon colored.
- Gradually stir about half of the remaining cream mixture into the egg yolk mixture.
- Then return all of the egg yolk mixture to the saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat just till mixture returns to boiling.
- Remove from heat. Remove and discard vanilla bean or stir in the extract, if using. If desired, stir in liqueur.
- Cover the surface with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator until serving time. DO NOT STIR.