Recipe by mollypaul
Recipe adapted from Zarela’s Veracruz by Zarela Martinez with Anne Mendelson as published in the Houston Chronicle. The soup can be prepared and refrigerated overnight; heat before serving.
- 3 bunches scallions, trimmed with white and green parts separated (18-20 large scallions)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (14 ounce) containers hearts of palm, drained and coarsely chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups chicken broth, preferably homemade
Directions See How It's Made
- Mince onions and garlic to equal about a cup.
- Heat oil in a stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Add onions/garlic and cook briefly until wilted.
- Reduce heat to medium, add hearts of palm and cook about 8 minutes to mellow the flavors.
- Mince scallion greens and set aside.
- Let garlic/hearts of palm mixture cool slightly and whirl in blender, adding a little chicken stock if necessary.
- Return to pan, stir in the rest of the stock, and bring to a boil.
- Serve garnished with the scallion greens.