Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Recipe adapted from Zarela’s Veracruz by Zarela Martinez with Anne Mendelson as published in the Houston Chronicle. The soup can be prepared and refrigerated overnight; heat before serving.
- 3 bunches scallions, trimmed with white and green parts separated (18-20 large scallions)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (14 ounce) containers hearts of palm, drained and coarsely chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups chicken broth, preferably homemade
- Mince onions and garlic to equal about a cup.
- Heat oil in a stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Add onions/garlic and cook briefly until wilted.
- Reduce heat to medium, add hearts of palm and cook about 8 minutes to mellow the flavors.
- Mince scallion greens and set aside.
- Let garlic/hearts of palm mixture cool slightly and whirl in blender, adding a little chicken stock if necessary.
- Return to pan, stir in the rest of the stock, and bring to a boil.
- Serve garnished with the scallion greens.