Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Add in some green onions and/or bacon also if desired, prep time does not include boiling the potatoes.
- 8 large baking potatoes, peeled (Russets are best)
- salt and pepper
- 1 pint whipping cream, divided (1 pint is whipped)
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese (or to taste)
- Boil potatoes with salt until soft.
- Whip 1/2 pint whipping cream (beat only 1/2 pint!).
- Mash the potatoes and mix with remaining 1/2 pint UNWHIPPED whipping cream until thick, smooth and creamy.
- Add in salt and pepper to taste, and about 1/4 - 1/2 cup grated cheese; mix well to combine.
- Transfer to a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Spread the WHIPPED cream over potatoes.
- Top with the remaining grated cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- **NOTE** This is the method I use to bake the casserole, otherwise I find that sometimes the cheese gets hard on top.
- I cover loosley with foil,.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour.
- Remove foil and bake for another 15-20 minutes, you may want to try this method, or you can most certainly bake it without using any foil.
I can't believe that I am the first to rate these. I chose these for Pick a Chef '06. This was delicious. I covered the dish loosely with foil as recommended until about the last 20 minutes. The cheese browned nicely. I added a few slices of crumbled bacon to the top and added chopped Vidalia onion to the potatoes. Delicious recipe, Carol, thanks for sharing.