Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A rich creamy tomato soup with some tortellini to fill your tummy. Serve with some hot garlic bread! I just combined a few of my favorites from other recipes and added some parmesan it was a hit. Hope you enjoy it too!
- olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans campbell's tomato soup
- 2 (10 ounce) cans milk (use soup can)
- 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons Italian-style tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup light cream or 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (9 ounce) package cheese tortellini
- Coat soup pan with olive oil. Add onion and garlic and saute till soft.
- Add canned diced tomatoes, basil, tomato soup and two cans milk. Stir till blended.
- Add chicken broth and stir in tomato paste till blended.
- Simmer for 20 minutes
- Add light cream and parmesan cheese.
- Add tortellini and cook till tender (at least 15 minutes).
A very good soup, perfectly seasoned using dried basil . I halved the recipe using only fired roasted tomatoes and no tomato paste, personal preference. I used gnocchi in place of tortellini. I blended until smooth with a stick blender. A great soup with a salad. Thanks for posting.
This was, simply put, divine. I was a little bit hesitant to try this because my husband and I are not fond of tomatoes, but I thought there might be enough other flavors in the dish to balance it out. I am SO glad I took the plunge! We halved the recipe (just the two of us) with no difficulty. We added plenty of extra Parmesan for garnish, but aside from that, this needed no tweaking at all. We served it with one of those grocery baguettes that you can buy pre-made but bake at home - it could not have been any better on a cold, rainy night! Thanks so much - I can't wait to have company over because I know they'll love it just as much as we did!
This soup was a hit! I snuck in some spinach and my son didn't even notice because he was too busy devouring his bowl. Hubby went back for seconds. I doubled the recipe so we will happily be eating leftovers tonight!