Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
a better creamier sweet potato casserole not dulled down with spices that really lets you have a great sweet potato flavor.
- 1. COOK POTATOES Combine potatoes, cream, butter, sugar, salt, and pepper in Dutch oven. Cook covered, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until potatoes begin to break down, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 2. SIMMER POTATOES Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook, covered, until liquid has been absorbed and potatoes are completely tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees.
- 3. MASH POTATOES Add cream cheese to pot. Using potato masher, mash until cream cheese is fully incorporated and sweet potatoes are smooth or if you prefer silky-smooth potatoes, use a hand mixer to beat the potatoes. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until potatoes are thickened, about 5 minutes.
- 4. TOAST MARSHMALLOWS Transfer potato mixture to 2-quart baking dish and top with single layer marshmallows. Bake until marshmallows are browned, about 5 minutes. Serve.
- MAKE AHEAD: After transferring sweet potato mixture to baking dish, mixture can be refrigerated, covered, up to 2 days. Microwave until warm for 4 to 7 minutes before topping with marshmallows and baking as directed.
I made this for Thanksgiving. Many compliments. I put crushed nuts on half of it, instead of marshmallows for family members who were diabetic. Worked out great.
This is an amazing dish! I made it for Thanksgiving and it was gone in a flash! I tweeked the recipe just pinch. I added 4oz of cream cheese and added 1oz of peacans. My daughter (17) even said "This recipe has to go in the family cookbook and become a Holiday Tradition.
So simple, but so good. I added just a half teaspoon of nutmeg and a teaspoon of cinnamon, but it's delicious without being overly sweet.
Thanks for a great recipe! It was definitely a favorite of our Thanksgiving spread.