1/1 Photo of Creamy Roasted-Root Salad
1 hr 20 mins
Annie Made's Note:
A harmony of sweet and savory roasted vegetables decked in a creamy herb dressing is as delicious warm as it is chilled.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large beets
- 1 large russet potato
- 2 large red potatoes
- 2 large parsnips
- 1 small red onion
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 6 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 6 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2/3 cup fat free Greek yogurt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- sea salt and freshly-ground pepper
- 1Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- 2Scrub all vegetables. Leaving skins on, cut root vegetables into large chunks of similar size, roughly the size of strawberries, smaller is okay for the parsnips. Keep potatoes, parsnips, and beets in separate bowls. The vegetables aren't combined until after they've been roasted.
- 3Coarsely chop garlic, set aside.
- 4Coarsely chop red onion, set aside.
- 5Using a mortar and pestle, gently grind dried oregano.
- 6Distribute garlic, onions, and oregano evenly among the chopped veggies. Drizzle 3 T of olive oil over potatoes, 2 T over beets, and one T over parsnips. Pour 3 tsp of balsamic vinegar over potatoes, 2 tsp over beets, and 1 tsp over parsnips. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- 7Toss each bowl separately and transfer veggies into roasting pans or dishes. The beets and parsnips can share a dish as long as they don't mingle too much. (I throw the potatoes into a 8in X 8in baking dish and then the beets and parsnips share a 3-qt baking dish, 3 dishes would work just as well.) All this separation keeps the flavors from influencing each other while roasting and yields a much better combination of distinct flavors in the final dish.
- 8Roast veggies in an oven pre-heated to 400°F for about 55-65 minutes, turning veggies once at the half hour.
- 9Combine veggies in a large pyrex or stoneware mixing bowl and toss. Set aside to cool slightly.
- 10In a small mixing bowl combine greek yogurt, mustard, parsley and cilantro. Season with a pinch of sea salt.
- 11Pour dressing over vegetables and toss once more to coat entire salad evenly.
- 12Serve warm or chill in salad in the fridge for a few hours and serve cool.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Roasted-Root Salad
Serving Size: 1 (206 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 223.2
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.4 mg
- Sodium 102.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 4.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: