Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is one good soup!
Make and share this Creamy Roasted Butternut Squash Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 butternut squash
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- freshly grated nutmeg
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄4 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons toasted pumpkin
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove seeds.
- Cover squash with olive oil.Sprinkle with salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add maple syrup and garlic cloves in squash cavity.Place in 350*oven and bake for about 50 minutes until squash is cooked.Spoon out the cooked squash and garlic; set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add the onion, celery, carrot and sauté until soft but not brown, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Simmer for several minutes. Stir in the squash until smooth, then simmer gently to let the flavors meld, about 10 minutes. Add a bit more maple syrup and cinnamon to taste.
- Puree the soup in a blender until smooth. (The soup can be made ahead to this point, cooled, covered, and refrigerated for several days or frozen for about 1 month. It will thicken as it cools and may need thinning with stock or water when reheating.)
- Return the soup to the pan and reheat gently. Add the half-and-half, if using. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into a warm tureen, a ceramic bowl or 4 soup plates. If desired, garnish with a spoonful of sour cream and a scattering of pumpkin seeds.