Top Review by dianegrapegrower
This was pretty good. Since it's lower in fat than many mashed potato recipes, it needs a bit more seasoning to compensate. I added red bell pepper, but I think some herbs (thyme, sage?) would also help. I froze part of the recipe for future use, so will report on that later. The color was significantly darker than I'd expected - from the mushrooms, I think.
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs white potatoes, peeled
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan of boiling salted water, cook potatoes until tender; drain and mash.
- In a skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter; saute onion and mushrooms for 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- Stir into potatoes; add sour cream, salt, and pepper; mix well.
- Spoon into a greased 2 quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Dot with remaining butter.
- Bake, uncovered at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until heated and golden brown.