1 hr 15 mins
Sometimes a whole turkey or chicken is too much of a good thing - here's a delicious way to use up the leftovers. Homey, wonderful, comforting.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 carrots, cut into 2 inch julienne strips (about 2 cups)
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 2 inch julienne strips (about 1 cup)
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups broth (use broth suitable to meat you are using)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 large egg yolks
- 4 cups bite-size pieces cooked meat (chicken, turkey, beef, pork, all are good in this recipe)
- 1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried rosemary
- 1Make meat mixture: In a saucepan, melt butter over moderately-low heat and in it cook onions, carrots and celery, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened.
- 2Add wine and cook mixture for 3 minutes.
- 3Add flour and cook roux, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- 4Add broth in a stream and bring to a boil, whisking.
- 5In a bowl, whisk together the cream and the yolks.
- 6Whisk about ½ cup of the sauce into the bowl to temper cream mixture and add the cream mixture, in a stream, to the sauce.
- 7Cook over moderately-low heat, whisking, until it is thickened (do not let it boil) and stir in meat, rosemary and season to taste.
- 8Make dumpling batter: In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, oregano, parsley and pepper to taste.
- 9Add milk and stir until batter is just combined.
- 10Drop by spoonfuls into 6 or 8 mounds onto the simmering meat mixture (do not let the liquid boil).
- 11Simmer dumplings, uncovered, for 10 minutes and simmer them, covered, for 10 minutes more.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Meat and Vegetable Pot Pie With Herbed Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (130 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 300.7
- Calories from Fat 160
- Total Fat 17.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 124.1 mg
- Sodium 1055.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 5.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: